Benefits Of Lymphatic Drainage Massage
Lymphatic massage is a massage therapy technique that increases lymph flow. Also called lymph drainage massage, it is applicable to edema, sports injury, for people whose immune system is weak, or for those with low energy. A biological improvement of lymph flow eliminates harmful substances in our tissues and promotes a strong immune system.
Do You Know Your Lymphatic System?
A part of our circulatory system, the Lymphatic System is responsible in healing injuries and guarding our body against diseases. This system also returns scavenging fluids and proteins, which have escaped from cells and tissue, and brings them back to the blood. By filtering toxins and bacteria, it helps our drainage system. If the lymph passages get congested, you could experience some pain, soreness, or flu.
Do You Know What Lymphatic Massage Is?
Developed in the 1930s, Lymphatic Massage is a delicate form of massage therapy that invigorates our body’s lymphatic system. It applies very mild pressure that is associated with soft pumping motions in the direction of lymph nodes. The lymphatic system greatly depends on muscle contraction by deep breathing, regular exercise, and manual manipulation since it has no central pump. In other words, it is a static system. Lymph only flows “when we move our bodies”. Vigorous exercise provides the greatest benefit to generating lymphatic stimulation. The main benefit of this type of massage is increased in immune system function, improvement in metabolism, and elimination of toxins.
After every massage therapy, it is important that you drink a lot of water to help remove the toxins that have been released.
What Benefits Can Lymphatic Massage Generate?
As this type of massage therapy suggests, Lymphatic Massage frees your lymph pathways from any blockage by naturally cleaning the lymph system in a clockwise manner. Having this type of massage performed by a professional registered massage therapist can possibly increase the lymph flow volume by up to 20 times.
There are some negative effects that you could get from chronic lymph blockages. Some of these include:
- Depression and mood irregularities
- Appetite loss
- Periodic cold and flu
- Arthritis and joint pain
- Headache and migraine
- Menstrual cramps
What Are The Uses Of Lymphatic Massage?
- Proven through the years to raise the level of skin quality, this massage therapy increases the lymph flow which in return bathes the cells in fresh fluid and makes the skin look rejuvenated and alive.
- Another useful application of lymphatic massage is for people with sports injury or injuries in general. This massage therapy should be applied after a neuromuscular massage to clear the debris found in tissues and to reduce minor edema. It also regenerates tissues to stay as healthy as possible.
- Lymphatic massage therapy allows better blood circulation that also helps the scarring process. Because lymph flows around the area of a scar, it stimulates damaged lymph vessel for a lesser time of recovery.
- For some breast cancer cases, this massage therapy can also be utilized. Because of the removal of auxiliary lymph nodes to the victims of this cancer type, edema in their arms might develop. In cases where only minor swelling is found, massage therapy is applicable provided that the therapist has ample amount of knowledge in contraindication.
Is Lymphatic Massage Safe?
All massage therapy types have some health cases which to be cautioned. In the case of lymphatic massage, people who have acute inflammation, malignant tumors, thrombosis, and serious heart complications should avoid this kind of therapy.
For more information about how massage therapy can help you or to book an appointment,
please contact the clinic. Call today!