Benefit From Regular Massage Therapy
From early civilizations until today – the modernized period – the application of touch as a healing technique is still being employed. Whether it is for rehabilitation, relaxation, or pain relief – truly, massage therapy has numerous benefits.
Benefits of Regular Massage
There are a lot of benefits that massage therapy can introduce to our body. In general, massage therapy is accredited to reduce stress, boost energy, ease pain, and bring relaxation and peace of mind. It was also proved that massage can relieve musculoskeletal complications like osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. Moreover, including regular massage therapy sessions to your busy schedule, you can expect a healthier mind and body.
More proven massage therapy benefits include:
- Aids in the flow of blood
- Amplifies flexibility of body
- Energizes lymphatic flow
- Improves posture and self-esteem
- Boosts endorphin release
- Moderates edema
- Administers gentle stretching of tissues
Let’s review some different techniques and advantages of massage therapy.
History and Massage Therapy Defined
Massage therapy was widely used in many early civilizations such as China, India, Greece, and Mesopotamia. Paintings and archaeological evidence are found which showed that, indeed, the practice of massage therapy occurred.
Quite literally, massage is a “hands on” type of therapy used to manipulate layers of muscles through pressure, motion, or tension. It could possibly involve moving your tendons, ligaments, muscles and skin.
Different Types of Massage
The following are different types of massage for your own needs:
- Aromatherapy Massage which makes use of oils from plants to have a relaxing and healing effect.
- Lymphatic Massage is done by massage therapists using light and controlled massage strokes to enhance lymph flow.
- Reflexology uses finger techniques to direct “reflex points” which are connected to specific body organs and is applied specifically to hands and feet.
- Shiatsu applied to certain points on the body through mild strokes and pressure of fingers and hands helps relieve body pain and improves energy flow.
- Swedish massage utilizes various strokes and pressure for several body benefits such as enhancing blood flow into the heart, as well as easing physical and emotional constrictions.
Massage therapy with special purposes:
- Craniosacral Massage is done by executing graceful, but gentle pressure along the head and spine. And it specifically helps balance the flow of cerebrospinal fluid.
- Myofascial Release method, as suggested by the name fascia (meaning connective tissues), helps loosen muscles by using enough pressure and body positioning.
- Polarity Therapy is used to balance positive and negative charges of body’s electromagnetic energy field. It is based on the belief that a natural energy flow in the body affects a person’s health.
- Rolfing is done by applying pressure to the connective tissue of the body for several physical benefits such as improving posture, stretching fascia, and releasing body tension. It was developed by a biochemist Dr. Ida Rolf.
- Sports Massage, evident on the name itself, is used on amateur and professional athletes to help them prepare for a sport event, to recover after a specific game of sports, to treat muscles and tendon injuries, and to address overuse injuries.
- Trigger Point Massage is done by applying pressure to trigger a painful response to these “trigger points” to lessen muscle spasms and pain.
Although massage therapy is statistically and literally very safe, in addition to numerous advantages that can be accomplished, it is wise to be cautious in some specific medical cases. Here are some of the circumstances:
- Cardiovascular condition and heart disease like thrombosis, phlebitis, and edema
- During the first three months of pregnancy
- Kidney failure
For more information about how massage therapy can help you or to book an appointment,
please contact the clinic. Call today!